Subject: Re: Lightwave 4.0 fp woes
From: [email-masked] (John Crookshank)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 14:55:59 -0800

On 21-Feb-96 07:17:56, Brian Dady ([email-masked]) Emailed: 

> On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, John Crookshank wrote:

> How does one
> tell if the  OS is aware of the FPU?  Sysinfo indicates the presence of
> an FPU, but I  would assume it accesses the hardware directly.

If Sysinfo shows an FPU, I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work,
unless the 68040.library you're using is the improper version. Be sure and
use the version that was suppled with the card, not the version from a
Workbench disk.

> What exactly are the "patch/kludge" files you are referring to?  I do 
> want to insure that LW4.0 will run on my system before paying for it.

I didn't notice in your previous post that you have a Zuess 68040 card, but
the previous PP&S cards used a "fake" 68040.library, and then did some
strange patching of the OS to get it to work. It is not uncommon for these
manufacturers to sort of "pave their own way" when it comes to designing
their hardware, so the support software ends up being a little
non-standard. PP&S was fairly notorious for this, but it worked fairly
well. I'm not that familiar with the Zuess, but I would strongly suspect
that it needs a proprietary 68040.library supplied by PP&S, and would not
function properly with the standard 68040.library supplied with the OS.

--
      ______________________________________________________________
     /     John Crookshank         | Raptor3 DEC Alpha Workstations \
    |  MicroTech Solutions, Inc.   | Lightwave 3D, Toaster/Flyer     |
    | Desktop Video Systems Dealer | JVC Professional Video Products |
    | NewTek Systems Group Dealer  | PVR, Speed Razor, Amiga Dealer  |
    |------------------------------|---------------------------------|
    |     [email-masked]              http://www.mt-inc.com/       |
     \______________________________________________________________/